sketchpad

Made in the Tinkering Studio: Cardboard Automata (and more)

05
Dec/14

Continued from Karen's post about Automata and related to the CoP hangout "Let's Talk Automata" from two weeks ago (you can watch the recorded hangout here on YouTube), I wanted to share some more automata that were created in the Tinkering Studio. Some are in photos, some are in videos.
Here we go!

IMG_0684 IMG_0682
(Left: Sea monster and drowning man, Right: Goooooooal!)
Each mechanism is very simple but the decoration on the top is narrative and tells you a story when the motion starts.

DSC_6325 copy DSC_6322 copy
(Left: Automata made from only scrap foamie, Right: Doodling automata)

DSC_4075 DSC_4086
(Left: Bear wash shower, Right: Chattering teeth)
They make me laugh each time I crank.

DSC_4078 DSC_4077
(Left: Big spider vs bee, Right: Flower and bugs)
These are both made by our volunteer Michael. Starting from very simple automata (first we asked him to make simple motion samples for the floor activity), now he has made lots of cool complex automata for the Tinkering Studio.

Here are some more automata in motion!
Check out Michael's frog and birds in the video below. The wire linkage adds an interesting motion to the automata, and both are using a straw to make sound (especially I like the sound with the birds).

Automata fire hydrant from The Tinkering Studio on Vimeo.

Automata picking nose from The Tinkering Studio on Vimeo.

Automata Michael's frog from The Tinkering Studio on Vimeo.

Automata Michael's birds from The Tinkering Studio on Vimeo.

Michael's dog from The Tinkering Studio on Vimeo.

Michael's enthusiasm for automata took the cardboard automata to the next level! Inspired by Keith Newstead's life size theater dog, Michael created this mechanical dog and it works really well.

Nicole's alligator from The Tinkering Studio on Vimeo.

And here is one more! The Michael's dog inspired Nicole to make this pull toy for her nephew. Nice to see the inspiration goes around!

wow those automatas are amazing!!!

Thanks ~ glad you like them!
We're always amazed at the ideas people come up with for their automata.

excellent. one of the best articles I have every read. This is the information which I have been searching. Great information.hst condo rebate

Loved it! I too have been working on the best cleaning master app named ITL Phone Cleaner. Available for free download on the Google Play Store, the android application is quite the hit for de-cluttering your device and boosting up speed in the process. Try it for yourself and do not forget to share it if your liked it.

what a great sketch. Ignou help books also organized this type of sketch event

Ignou project offer all the projects of ignou and other universities including solved assignment and help books

I really love how it is easy on my eyes and the information are well written. I am wondering how I might be notified whenever a new post has been made. I have subscribed to your rss feed which really should do the trick! Have a nice day.portable carports

amazing stuff. good design and great crafted. I like that. I will make it soon.
Can I send you images somewhere? I have created more crafty things which I would like to share with you... as I got made janome hd3000 review last week and that was really amazing experience for me....

During the seeing, i never close my eyes!I am wounder how can you do this? Can you make a cardboard for me? My name is Moon web video production san francisco and please make a cardboard moon spell

This one is great. keep doing awesome! download any bodak yellow lyrics track!

Add a comment

Note: all comments are moderated. After you save, your comment will not appear until approved.